Sites

9/2/084/0026

Group

SiteHeader

SiteID: 

27599

FullSiteName: 

Fleurbaix Farmstead, Stellenbosch District

SiteCategory: 

PropertyIsSite: 

No

ReferenceList: 

Author: 

Anonymous (not verified)
Post date: 07/08/2012
Site Comments:

Archive Import
History: This farm was granted in 1695 to a Huguenot, Pierre le Fèbre, who was a surgeon by profession. Named after the town of Fleurbaix in Picardie, the farm was over 44 morgen in size. The house is said to date from 1768; the end-gables and the front gable were added in 1800, during the ownership of Paul Roux. In 1801 Roux married Elsabeth Storm who features in the ‘Storm painting’ in the Stellenbosch Museum.
Visual Description: The plan of the house, points to it having grown in stages. The house is H-shaped, but a wall (in which there is an 18c wall-cupboard flanked by doors) separates the voorhuis (which is deeper than the adjoining rooms) from the agterkamer. This is usual in a house that was once T-shaped. There is a flat- roofed addition to the right-hand back wing. The front gable is of a transitional type, with holbol characteristics as well as a small pediment; the end-gables also have pediments, with unusual undulating outlines. There is no back gable, which supports the theory that the front and end-gables are later additions. Most original ceilings and many doors survive, but the external woodwork is 19th C.

The thatch had been replaced by corrugated iron with raised eaves level. Flanking the house, and in line with it, are outbuildings with iron roofs and plain holbol end-gables.

There is also an attractive fowl-run.
Colours:
Site Features:
Condition:
Construction Date:
Materials:
Catalogue: , No: , Significance Category:

 
 

Search form