Sites

9/2/084/0135

Group

SiteHeader

SiteID: 

27515

FullSiteName: 

Thaba'Nchu, 5 Rattray Avenue, Stellenbosch

SiteCategory: 

PropertyIsSite: 

No

ReferenceList: 

Author: 

Anonymous
Post date: 07/08/2012
Site Comments:

Archive Import
History: Thaba ‘Nchu is a single storeyed semi-detached house in the high Victorian style, which was built in 1900 by James Rattray, the son of a British teacher brought over from England by Lord Charles Somerset.
Visual Description: The walls are plastered with a raised narrow moulded applied in the first instance in a brickwork design and then painted black. From a distance the black lines against the ochre coloured plaster gives the impression that the wall is constructed of brick. The rustication is accentuated by white paint. The stoep is covered by a candy—striped curved corrugated—iron verandah, supported on cast—iron pillars which are decorated with delicate flower—and—leaves tracery. The section of the wall above the verandah and below the eaves have been painted white with black etchings, giving it a Tudor look. The large, gracefully curved, wooden end—gable was completely re—fashioned during restoration.
Thaba t is the first Victorian house which has been restored to its authentic original colours, an important feature being the simulated brick pattern of the outside walls. Built by James Rattray, the son of a British teacher brought over from England by Lord Charles Somerset, the house is one of two semi-detached villas. James Rattray’s grandson still occupies the second villa. Thaba ‘Nchu is not only a typical example of late Victorian houses erected in Stellenbosch at the turn of the century, but is also the only one of its kind which have been restored to its authentic colour scheme.
Colours:
Site Features:
Condition: Good
Construction Date: 1900
Materials:
Catalogue: , No: , Significance Category:

 
 

Search form