SiteRecordings

SiteReference: 

RecordingGroup

General

AutoID: 

9/2/081/0031 - Tue, 2012-08-07 02:00

Author: 

sahrisprojectmanager

PrimaryRecording?: 

Yes

Directions: 

SiteComments: 

Archive Import
History: Although the railway line to Muizenberg was opened on 15 December 1882, just in time for the summer season, the station building was only erected in 1912/1913. In the mean time a shed-type building served as a station.
The new building was opened on 7 June 1913 by the then Minister of Railways and Harbours, Mr. Henry Burton. Along with 300 guests he travelled first to Kalk Bay where he laid the first block of the breakwater. The trainload, of passengers then returned to Muizenberg where Mr. Burton officially opened the station by unlocking the door and purchasing the first ticket.
This is a unique station building and a fine example of the Edwardian era.
The station is situated on Main Road and in very close proximity to the Post Huys, which is now a major tourist attraction. The old Carnegie Library, now the police station and the Court House which both date from about 1910, are situated next door to the Post Huys. These buildings together, form an important, pleasing and very historic street facade along this section of the False Bay coastline. The building belongs to State and resorts under the Railways and Harbours Administration.
Visual Description: The central portion of the building, in which the booking hall is situated, is a double-storey surmounted by an impressive clock tower. An interesting feature is the gables which appear to be a revival of the mid-eighteenth century Flemish style. The floor of the booking hall is decorated with encaustic black and white tiles. The cast iron stairway, with teak handrail, is also noteworthy.
On the platform side of the building an attractive 1930 addition extends from the second storey over the arched colonnade. A single wing extends from either side of the main building and these wings are gable ended. Each wing also has a smaller Flemish type gable on the front and back. All the windows, arches and corners are heavily rusticated with sandstone blocks. Red brick. Stone quoining to openings and corners. asbestos slate roof.
Colours:
Site Features:
Condition: Excellent
Construction Date: 1913
Materials:
Catalogue: , No: , Significance Category:

AdminComments: 

 
 

Search form