To All Grade 8 to 11 Learners,
The South African Heritage Resources Agency(SAHRA) has joined up with International Archaeology Day to run a competition for local students. SAHRA invites all Grade 8 to 11 learners living in and around Cape Town to submit entries into our International Archaeology Day and Heritage Month competition.
September is Heritage Month and in order to educate the nation about our shared Maritime and Underwater Cultural Heritage, SAHRA wants to hear from the youth in our local communities. High school learners are encouraged to choose a heritage site, object or story that tells us about southern Africa’s maritime past. There are three categories in which students can enter; by submitting a poster, an essay or a poem.
ARE YOU UP FOR THE CHALLENGE?!
Each category will have four winners, chosen by SAHRA. The prize awarded to these 12 students will be to go on a tour on some of the shipwrecks visible around the Cape Peninsula on International Archaeology Day, 17 October 2015. Winners will appear on both SAHRA’s website and Facebook pages as well as on the International Archaeology Days’ webpage and blog. Yes, that means you have the chance to showcase your knowledge and skills to both national and international audiences. Winners will also receive goody bags on the day.
Entries can be submitted electronically to email@example.com or they can be dropped off at SAHRA’s offices at 111 Harrington Street, Cape Town, c/o Harrington and Roeland Streets. Please make entries for the attention of the Maritime and Underwater Cultural Heritage Unit.
Terms and Conditions:
- The competition is run by the South African Heritage Resource Agency (hereafter SAHRA) in collaboration with International Archaeology Day.
- The competition is open to High School learners residing in and around Cape Town from Grades 8 to 11, except employees of SAHRA and their close relatives and anyone otherwise connected with the organisation or judging of the competition.
- There are three entry categories: posters, essays and poems. Posters should be A3 in size. Essays should not be longer than 500 words.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
- Entries may be submitted via https://www.sahra.org.zaold or https://www.facebook.com/SAMaritimeandUnderwaterCulturalHeritage or by hand at SAHRA’s Head Office.
- Only one entry will be accepted per person. Multiple entries from the same person will be disqualified.
- Closing date for entry will be by the close of business on September 30, 2015. After this date the no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
- SAHRA shall have the right, at its sole discretion and at any time, to change or modify these terms and conditions, such change shall be effective immediately upon posting to this webpage.
- SAHRA also reserves the right to cancel the competition if circumstances arise outside of its control.
- The prizes are as follows:
- A shipwreck heritage tour around the Cape Peninsula and a goody bag.
- The winners will be chosen by a panel of judges appointed by SAHRA by the 7 October 2015.
- The winners will be notified via email and/or phone call within 7 days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 7 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
- The winners will need to find their way to and from the meeting point for the tour on Saturday October 17, 2015. This will be in central Cape Town.
- The winners will need to provide SAHRA with written permission from their parents or guardians to go on the shipwreck heritage tour.
- SAHRA’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by South African law.
- The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material, as well as their entry. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current South African data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
- By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.